Industrial Senior Scientist: Cell Biology (LC_670)
MSc / PhD in Cell Biology or Molecular Biology + 5 yrs work experience post MSc or +2 yrs work experience post PhD, strong expertise & hands on experience in in cell culture, CRISPR-Cas9, qPCR, RT-PCR, immunofluorescence, FACS/Flow cytometry. Strong written +verbal communications skills, ability to explain complex scientific information with ease.
Location: Cape Town
Salary: Market-related with potential for equity
We’re working with a start-up who are set to radically change the face of sustainable food production in SA by commercialising the bioprocessing of mammalian cells specific for use in food production. This roles scope is broad and covers various areas of the business including R&D, Operations & Production, Strategy & Team Development. The core focus will be in R&D, aiming to improve cell lines, and the development of low-cost media formulations, ensuring efficient cell growth and scaffold development within the bioreactors.
This role will suit an adaptable, tenacious scientist who is ready to lead a small team within R&D who are already focused on production & process improvement, for the goal of commercialization. Other responsibilities will include overseeing the development and optimization of SOPs, managing processes and people requirements, training & collaborating with R&D colleagues, scientific report writing, and liaising with other stakeholders in the business to assist in various activities, including GLP, regulatory affair initiatives, QA/QC requirements etc.
REQUIREMENTS / Experience
- MSc / PhD in Cell Biology or relevant life science
- With MSc: 5 yrs work experience / with PhD: 2+ yrs work experience in
- Strong expertise & experience in mammalian cell culture & molecular biology methods: CRISPR-Cas9, qPCR, RT-PCR, immunofluorescence, FACS/Flow cytometry
- 2 years team management experience mentoring colleagues
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills (in English) essential
- Desired attributes: tenacious, adaptable nature, working with initiative, striving for efficiency, proactive, resourceful & able to lead in a work environment
Application information: Please apply online below
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted