Senior Scientist: Cell culture / Genomics (LC_640)
MSc/PhD in Biosciences + 2 yrs proven experience in mammalian cell culture + 2 yrs’ experience mentoring & managing a small team (not only in an academic setting). Hands on lab-based experience in following: CRISPR-Cas9, qPCR, RT-PCR, immunofluorescence, FACS/Flow cytometry. Strong written +verbal communications skills with ability to explain complex scientific information with ease. SA citizens only.
Location: Cape Town
Terms: Part-time moving to full-time
Salary: R35 ~ R45 K CTC per month, this is negotiable based on experience
This Senior Scientist level role is with a start-up company who are commercialising the bio-production of mammalian cells specific for use in the food industry. This company is set to radically change the face of sustainable food production in SA.
The role is involved in various areas of the business, including R&D, Operations & Production, Strategy & Team Development. The core focus of the role will be in Research & Development, aiming to improve cell lines, the development of low-cost media formulations & ensuring efficient cell growth and scaffold development within bioreactors.
The ideal candidate for this role will be ready to lead a team of scientists who work towards developing a research strategy and plan focused on product & process improvement, for the goal of commercialization. Other responsibilities will include overseeing the development and optimization of SOPs, managing processes and people requirements, training & collaborating with R&D colleagues, scientific report writing, and liaising with other stakeholders in the business to assist in various activities, including GLP, regulatory affair initiatives, QA/QC requirements etc.
REQUIREMENTS / Experience
- MSc / PhD in Biosciences or relevant life science
- Minimum of 2 + yrs lab experience in mammalian cell culture
- Molecular biology lab experience in CRISPR-Cas9, qPCR, RT-PCR, immunofluorescence, FACS/Flow cytometry
- 2 years team management experience mentoring colleagues, (not only in an academic setting).
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills (in English) essential
- Desired attributes include working with initiative, efficient, with a sense of adaptability & able to lead in a work environment
Application information: Please apply online by clicking below
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted